Hill Country tea estate hotels project a major boost for Sri Lankan ecotourism
A major boost for eco-tourism in Sri Lanka’s famed Hill Country has been announced by Brookside Tea Estate at Kandapola, 10km north-east of the ‘Little England’ town of Nuwara Eliya.
This year, Sri Lanka is actively promoting eco-tourism as a perfect way to experience the amazing wealth of bio-diversity, wildlife and natural habitats that our tropical paradise offers.
According to the Lanka Information website, “four eco-friendly hotels and 300 holiday bungalows are to be built in part of the land of Brookside Tea Estate in Kandapola to attract more high-spending overseas travellers to the Hill Country”.
It reports that “a project proposal has been submitted to the Board of Investment (BOI) to build and operate these eco-friendly hotels and holiday bungalows”, and that the government has approved the project.
It will reportedly employ a Public Private Partnership (PPP) investment model to attract potential investors and global hotel chains for this “unique opening to establish their brands in the highly-sought after scenic spots in the hill country”.
Read the full report here.
Meanwhile, Sri Lanka’s official tourism website, notes that “eco-tourism is a growing niche sector” that gives visitor the opportunity of enjoy multifaceted attractions as well as “the ultimate in diversity, beauty and culture, all combined with one of the best treasures of the world a warm, friendly and smiling people”.
It defines eco-tourism in Sri Lanka as:
- Minimally impacting on the environment.
- Learning about and respecting the local culture and environment.
- Obtaining positive experiences for all.
- Employing and benefitting local people.
- Learning about the local political, social and environmental issues.
- Ensuring that your spending contributes to the conservation of the area.
- Assisting in preserving a special habitat such as wildlife, farming, nature, water, etc.
- Learning and taking back new ideas back to influence your own environment.
- Obtaining new unmatched experiences.
- Helping to benefit not only Sri Lanka but the world as well.